Monday, February 25, 2008

Self-centered

About two weeks ago, a good friend and I were discussing the nature of being self-centered and what causes a person to be that way. I began posing some questions to myself. Questions that I felt might help me better understand why people are so narcissistic. Are most people really just in it for self because they are caught up with their own mortality/vanity or is there more to the story? I asked questions like; is it a cry for attention? Is it a lack of strength and personal integrity? Is it realizing that you are a fraud and everyone can see it? Is it fear of non-acceptance due to low self-esteem? Is it trying to measure up and falling short and also realizing that you must go to extremes to prove your self-worth? I think it is a little bit of everything but mostly a lack of identity!!! People are so caught up with self that they miss out on some of the most wonderful things that life has to offer. Things that are fleeting and only come around once. Moments that make a life lasting impact. Life offers so much beauty but if you are too busy looking in the mirror you will miss them! To me, simply sharing a coffee and wisdom with my mom is very important. Talking on the phone late at night with a dear friend just because things feel eerie is important! Sharing wonderful waterfall pictures with a dear friend from across the country is important. Reading my older sister's silly fart text message is important! My brother calling me from across the universe just to say that he loves me is important! Calling my best friend up in California and hearing his whimsical laugh is important! My ex-husband talking to me about our kids and their future happiness is important! Listening to my sister rap over the phone is important! Swapping Haitian humor with my fellow Haitians, oh so important! Watching the sun set on a beautiful spring day is important! Watching the waves crash on the Oregon coast so beautiful! Sharing a well cooked candle lit dinner with a significant other that is followed by slow dancing is so magical! Finally, hearing my children laugh wholeheartedly upstairs in their room is sooooo very important! Am I self-centered, only if you ask a complete stranger who's looking at my focused look? I walk proudly and with strength, I have a focused look and a confident stride, but I never forget to catch a beautiful moment in time!

No comments: